Sunday, January 01, 2006

 

High Finance

Eight months ago, I began managing a small fund. After three quarters, we are up a total of 25%. Not too bad I suppose. Especially since we were down more than 20% at one point. The best returns came from the rise in Mindspeed's stock price. It has risen 91% in the last six months, a nice jump. Makes up for the fits and starts associated with my learning curve.

I started out with the simple idea from my Financial Management teacher, who said that all one had to do was double $1000 ten times to get a Million Dollars. Well, heck, that didn't sound too hard. Even a high school dropout, ex-Army guy could do that, I thought to myself. It is very simple, but not quite so easy.

I have missed a couple of opportunities. But the exciting part is that I was watching and in the game. I have gained a lot of experience while in the market. The greed and fear emotions are very devilish in their ability to persuade me into action. Even though I was wary of them, I found myself unable to fully resist their temptations. It is enlightening to watch yourself be manipulated by the ups and downs of the market. It was weird, like I wasn't in control of myself.

I have read quite a bit about investing methods. I have pretty much relied on charting so far. However, as I got to reading about Warren Buffett, I am slowly seeming to turn in the direction of value investing. I am reading more and more annual reports. I am pulling out relevant data from them and the ratios are really starting to make sense. The more I dig, the more it seems possible.

Well, I gotta get back to researching.

Comments:
so are you still in MSPD or cash out already?
 
Do you ever check these things?
 
I haven't been. I didn't know anyone knew about it. No I sold MSPD after I made some money and bought some other deal and sold and bought and ended up with 500 shares of LVLT. I was going to sell it at $6/share and I listened to a guy and held it because it was going to $10 and it dropped like a rock. Now it is under a buck. It's ok because it will go back up and eventually hit $10 and more. I want to buy more, but I cannot because I want to pay off the final $7,500 first.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]